Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: sumana
Encourages kids to explore texture through painting
18 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- 1 Fish Template
- 1 piece Cardstock (Any color)
- 2 Tempera paint (Different colors)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 Pencil
- Prior to beginning activity, trace fish template onto cardstock.
- Prior to beginning activity, mix salt with one paint color.
- Guide the child to paint half the fish with the unsalted paint using his or her fingers.
- Now, guide the child to pain the remaining half with the salted paint using his or her fingers.
- Ask the child to describe how each of the paints felt (i.e. smooth vs. rough, bumpy vs. flat).
- Set painting aside to dry at least 15 minutes.
- Fine motor skills » Kinesthetic & tactile awareness
- Sensory processing » Touch » Textures
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking