Grow a Carrot Shoot
Submitted by: tinymont
Children observe how a shoot sprouts from a cut carrot.
36 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Plate
- 1 Knife (Adult Use Only)
- 1 cup Water
- Let child watch as you cut the top off the carrot.
- Pour water into the plate.
- Place the top of the carrot into the water. Do not fully submerge carrot top in water.
- Place the plate in the sunlight for three days.
- Ask the child to observe each day to see if they notice any changes.
- After three days, shoots should start to appear. Use this to spark a discussion about the importance of water and sunlight for plants.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Cognitive development » Logic & reasoning » Reasoning & problem solving