Arts & Crafts
Collage of Shapes
Submitted by: arjun
This art project develops fine motor skills and helps to identify shapes and colors.
12 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 Scissors (child safety)
- 3 pieces Construction paper (3 Different Colors)
- 1 Glue stick (or white glue)
- 1 Paper
- Prepare for this activity by drawing different shapes onto each sheet of colored paper; circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, ovals...
- Demonstrate and help, as needed, using scissors to cut out the shapes. Provide the name of each shape while cutting.
- Once all the shapes are cut, provide a glue stick to attach the shapes to the foundation paper.
- Instruct the child to paste shapes randomly to create a collage, reinforcing shape name and color.
- Ask the child to identify each shape and color until all the shapes are glued.
- Add child's name and date before setting aside to dry.
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » Thumb opposition
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Sensory processing » Sight