Arts & Crafts
Beautiful Clay Beads
Submitted by: arjun
Children learn to make unique beads out of clay.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Potter's clay or modeling dough
- 1 Large plastic sheet
- Dry sticks
- Lay the plastic sheet down on the workspace.
- Divide the dough or clay among the children and set it on the sheet.
- Demonstrate how to make a bead. Shape the clay into a ball or other shape. Using a stick, poke a hole through the center of the bead.
- Alternatively, wrap the clay directly around the stick and then shape.
- Guide the children through creating their own beads.
- Allow the beads to dry overnight.
- Optionally, give the children string to hang and wear or display the beads. Children could also paint the beads once dry.
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Finger isolation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation