Arts & Crafts
Shapes in the Sky
Submitted by: sumana
Children create the sky with sun, moon, and stars.
36 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- 1 pieces Thick paper or cardstock (1 per child)
- 1 pack Colored construction paper (Assorted colors)
- 1 Glue stick
- 1 pair Safety scissors
- 1 Hole punch
- 1 spool String or yarn
- 1 pair Sharp scissors (Adult use only)
- 1 set Sun, Moon & Star Patterns (Create your own patterns in Step 1.)
- Draw sun, moon, and stars on cardstock ahead of time. Cut these out to use as patterns.
- Help the child trace the shapes onto the colored paper. Help child to cut shapes out.
- Help the child glue shapes onto the uncut piece of cardstock.
- Punch holes in top corners of each finished picture. Use string to hang up.
- Lead discussion about the stars, sun, and moon. Discuss the differences between the day sky and the night sky.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Mathematics » Geometry & spatial sense
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Grasp
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation