Arts & Crafts
Tree Bark Impressions
Submitted by: arjun
Children make realistic impressions of bark.
36 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- Powdered Paint (Cocoa powder will also work.)
- Empty salt container
- Rubber cement or thick paste
- Outlines of tree bark
- Scissors (Adult Use Only)
- Mix the sand and paint powder in the salt container.
- Poke small holes in the lid of the container.
- Give the child a tree bark outline.
- Use the paintbrush to spread paste on the outline. This will create texture.
- Have the child sprinkle sand from the container onto the page. It will stick to the paste.
- Blow off excess sand.
- Let dry at least 30 minutes.
- Once dry, ask child to feel the bark impression and describe the texture. Introduce the concept of rough.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking