Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: arjun
Matchsticks are a wonderful tactile craft material. This activity guides the children through design patterns.
18 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 Box of used matchsticks (per child)
- Provide each child with a box of matchsticks.
- Draw a design, pattern or outline on a concrete surface with the chalk.
- Show the child how to arrange the matchsticks in the pattern and let their creativity free.
- If multiple children are playing, lead a discussion about each design.
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation
- Cognitive development » Mathematics » Patterns