Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: arjun
Children will create a unique sunflower while learning about sunflowers.
36 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- 1 Sunflower stencil
- 3 Craft paints (Yellow, Orange & Green)
- 3 Paint brushes
- 1tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 bottle Liquid glue
- 1 piece Art paper or cardstock
- 1 Paper plate (Use as paint palette)
- Have a bouquet of sunflowers or a picture to prompt discussion about the appearance of sunflowers. Ask child why they think they are called sunflowers. Explain that sunflowers grow toward the sun thus the name sunflowers.
- Use stencil to trace sunflower on paper.
- Give child the paper plate palette with yellow, orange and green paint. Guide the child to paint the petals and the center yellow and orange. Ask the child to paint the stem green.
- Allow paint to dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Once paint is dry, apply liquid glue to flower's center and attach mustard seeds.
- Allow flower to dry at least 30 minutes more. Display and enjoy.
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness