Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: Bijou
This activity helps to develop fine motor skills while also demonstrating patterns and symmetry.
24 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 pair Scissors (Child Safe)
- 2 pieces Construction paper (Contrasting colors)
- Fold sheet of construction paper in half.
- Bring outside edges in to align with center fold, creating three folded edges and four segments.
- Crease so folded paper lays flat.
- Demonstrate drawing, on the top facing quadrant, a design that will leave portions of the folded edges uncut. Half circles and irregular shapes placed on the edge work well.
- Provide markers and have child decorate the top of their folded paper.
- Next demonstrate cutting, leaving portions of the folded edges uncut.
- Provide child with folded paper and scissors and assist them cutting around their design.
- Open paper to display cut design.
- Mount completed art piece on contrasting paper for display.
- Date and label on the back.
- Fine motor skills » Thumb opposition
- Fine motor skills » Graphic skills
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Cognitive development » Mathematics » Patterns