Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: Bijou
Fine motor skills are developed through the creation of this patriotic art project.
24 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 White constrution paper (or cardstock)
- 1 piece Red construction paper
- 1 piece Blue construction paper
- 1 White crayon or white pencil
- 1 Glue stick
- 1 Stencil (Star shaped, stickers or stamps)
- Begin with large rectangular sheet of white paper as the base.
- Cut 13 strips of red construction paper the same length as horizontal measurement of base paper.
- Glue red strips to the white base paper, leaving equal space of white between each red stripe.
- Discuss how red strips correspond to number of original colonies in United States.
- Cut square of blue construction paper for upper left corner.
- Have child use crayon or pencil to decorate blue square with white stars.
- Discuss how number of stars corresponds to number of States in United States.
- Glue blue square to upper left corner of base paper.
- Have child sign and date.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Cognitive development » Logic & reasoning » Symbolic representation
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Graphic skills
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » Thumb opposition