Arts & Crafts
Pine Cone Turkey
Submitted by: Linda O
Fine motor skills are involved in creating this adorable seasonal decoration that also makes a lovely centerpiece for Thanksgiving!
24 - 60 months
1 - 5 tots
- 1 Pine cone
- Dried leaves
- 1 pair Scissors
- Construction paper (White for eyes, Orange for beak, and various colors for feathers if needed.)
- 1 bottle Glue (Craft glue)
- 1 Bowl (small)
- 1 Pipe cleaner
- Choose one method for the Tail Feathers: 1. Collect and dry leaves or 2. Cut tail feathers from colored construction paper or 3. Use colorful feathers (from the Craft Store) for tail feathers.
- Arrange pine cone on it's side with the small, top end forward. This will be the face.
- Cut two small circles from white paper for the eyes. Draw a dark dot in center of each circle. You could also use a pipe cleaner to make two small loops for the eyes. Cut off the excess pipe cleaner.
- Cut one elongated triangle from orange construction paper to create beak.
- Attach the beak to the eyes with craft glue. Set aside and allow to dry.
- Dispense small amount of glue into bowl.
- Dip one end of the dried leaf, feather or paper tail feather into the glue.
- Arrange the tail feathers in a vertical fan around the large, bottom end of pine cone. Add more glue as necessary.
- Attach the beak and eye piece to top of the pine cone. Allow to dry undisturbed.
- Enjoy your new little Turkey friend!