Submitted by: sumana
This activity will help your child learn about fermentation or cell multiplication. This is especially fun to do outdoors!
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Glass jars & bottles
- 1 cup Water (warm)
- 1 packet Yeast (dried)
- Place a teaspoon of sugar in a small glass.
- Fill the glass with warm water until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add one packet of dried yeast to the glass and mix well.
- Leave it aside for 30 mins.
- You will now see a frothy foam creeping over the rim of the glass.
- Explain the process to your child. The sugar provides food and water for the yeast which are live organisms. This will help the yeast to multiply. Yeast break down the sugar into alcohol plus carbon dioxide. The Carbon dioxide produces the bubbles.