Submitted by: Susanna
Learn colors and gross motor skills with this simple game.
12 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 basket
- 2 At least 2, but probably more different colored balls (If playing indoors, make sure these balls are light and won't hurt your furniture or lamps.)
- Spread the balls out on your playing surface
- Place the basket across an appropriate distance away (depending on your child's age). The basket could even be placed up on a table, sofa, or bench.
- Demonstrate how to throw the balls into the basket. Encourage your child to do the same with you.
- As your child picks up the task, begin to talk about the color that he or she is currently holding or throwing.
- Increase the challenge by telling her to throw only certain colored balls.
- If your child master's distinguishing color, try asking them to toss in only the "big balls" or the "small balls."
- End the game before your child loses interest so that you can pull it out again and again. Your child's skill will increase more from playing day after day rather than from playing for a long time.
- Gross motor skills » Standing
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity