Submitted by: CREAA Academy
This activity will help your child to observe and understand the concept of Aestivation (also estivation). What is Aestivation? This is the state of an animal to remain inactive due to low metabolic rate caused by the extreme high temperature. When the season is too hot and there is lot of dryness, this dormant state will occur.
Invertebrate and vertebrate animals are known to enter this state to avoid damage from high temperatures and the risk of desiccation. Both terrestrial and aquatic animals undergo aestivation.
- 1 piece Construction paper (or poster board for a larger presentation)
- Pictures of animals
- 1 Glue stick
- 1 Pens
- Discuss Aestivation with your child and the animals who sleep more during this period. Lady beetles, crabs, Reptiles, water holding frog, african lungfish are few examples.
- Have children research and find pictures of those animals.
- Give a title to the activity as "Summer Sleep". Write the title on the construction paper.
- Ask the kids to randomly glue the pictures of those animals and encourage discussion.
Creaa Academy and wikipedia for definition
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Language & communication » Language development » Listening & comprehension