If the Shoe Fits
Submitted by: Susanna
Teach your child about spatial volume with this experiment in trying on clothes.
12 - 48 months
1 - 3 tots
- 3 or more pairs Shoes (of different sizes. You could also do this experiment with hats or gloves)
- 3 or more pairs Feet (this could be mom, dad, tot, sibling or friend)
- Line up the shoes. Whoever is participating in the experiment should sit down with their feet close to the line of shoes.
- Ask your child to "put on" a certain pair of shoes on the participant. "Can you put the red shoes on Daddy?"
- If the shoe is too small say, "oh, wow, it's too small! It doesn't fit!" Say something similar if the shoe is too big.
- If the shoe fits say, "Look, the shoe fits! It's the right size! It's not too big and it's not too small!"
- Have the child try the shoes on different people and themselves.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Cognitive development » Mathematics » Measurement & comparison
- Fine motor skills » Grasp
- Self help » Dressing