Arts & Crafts
These Are A Few of My Favorite Things!
Submitted by: Susanna
Help your child learn about photography in making a fun and simple photo book of their favorite things.
24 - 60 months
1 - 3 tots
- 1 Camera (a smart phone camera is best)
- 1 Printer
- 4 orm ore Index cards (4x6)
- 1 Glue stick
- 4 or more Photo sleeves (to cover the index cards)
- 1 or more Scissors
- 1 Stapler
- 1 Photo Album (4x6)
- With your camera ready, ask your child, "What's your favorite toy?" When he or she answers, have them go and get it.
- Tell your child, "Let's take a picture of your _____." Then help him or her set up the toy to take a picture.
- Show your child how to hold and use the camera, or at least how to push the button.
- Then say, "let's take pictures of your other favorite things. What's your favorite _____." Some ideas are: food, book, drink, DVD, cup, dress, etc.
- After taking the pictures, show your child how you print the pictures (an involved process that is different for every family). This will keep your child interested while waiting for the pictures. Just explain each step even if they don't understand.
- After printing the pictures, cut them out together and paste them on to the 4x6 index cards. Write the name of each thing on each card. Keep it simple: "dress, cup, etc."
- Put the cards in the photo album or in the photo sleeves. Staple the sleeves together to finish your book.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking