Arts & Crafts
Origami Samurai Hat
Submitted by: Susanna
Make a samurai hat out of newspaper.
24 - 60 months
0 - 4 tots
- 1 Piece of newspaper cut into a square
- Fold the newspaper diagonally so that you have a triangle. Put the folded edge away from you and the point towards you.
- Fold each of the two points farthest from you down to the point nearest you. Now you should have a diamond.
- Take each of the two points that you just folded down and fold them to the top of the diamond that you now have.
- Fold those same two points outward to make "horns."
- Now you should have two remaining layers at the bottom point of your "diamond." Take the top layer and fold it to the top of the diamond and immediately unfold it.
- Fold the same point up again, but this time just 3/4 of the ways to the top point.
- Fold up the remaining part of the top layer to make a nice border at the bottom of your hat.
- Take the bottom layer of your paper and tuck it into the hat.
- Put on your hat!
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness