Submitted by: Susanna
Teach your child new vocabulary by "shopping" through an old catalog.
18 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 1 Catalog or junk mail with lots of pictures
- 1 Un-used photo album
- To create interest, start by flipping through the catalog. Point out and name the items to your child.
- Then, as your child gets interested, ask them what they would like. If they point at something, rip it out and put it in the photo album.
- If they don't point at anything, ask, "Would you like these shoes? Do you want this dress?" Then if they answer in the affirmative, rip out the picture and put it in the album.
- When you're finished, look through the album together and name all the things you got.
- Keep the album around so your child can show other people her pictures, and then you can replace the pictures next time you go catalog shopping.
- Language & communication » Language development » Listening & comprehension
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking
- Cognitive development » Literacy » Book appreciation & knowledge