Arts & Crafts
My State Flag
Submitted by: masamom
Identify state flag.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Printout of State Flag (1 per student)
- Markers and crayons (Assorted colors)
- Child scissors
- Adult scissors
- Clear tape
- Pencils or straws (1 per child)
- Colored and finished flag example to show kids
- Review the concept of a state being a smaller part of a large country. Review what state students live in.
- Show kids a colored example of the state flag. Discuss the different elements of the flag.
- Have kids color flag with markers and crayons using finished flag as an example.
- Cut out flag. Older kids can cut the flag out using safety scissors. Adults should cut out flags for younger kids.
- Roll left edge of flag around pencil or straw end and secure with tape.
- Cognitive development » Logic & reasoning » Symbolic representation
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Fine motor skills » Graphic skills
- Fine motor skills » Grasp