Submitted by: masamom
Develop awareness of foreign languages. Experiment with speaking in foreign languages.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Posterboard (White)
- Markers (Assorted colors)
- Greet children with a traditional hello. Ask if children have ever heard someone speaking in a different language. Explain that each country has its own language. In the United States, we speak English. In France, people speak French.
- Give examples of how to say hello in other languages: English = Hello, Spanish = Hola, French = Bonjour, German = Hallo, and Japanese = Konnichiwa. You can add other languages if desired.
- Teach children to say hello in different languages by saying the name of the language and how to pronounce the word. Have children repeat after you several times.
- If desired, create a poster titled "Say Hello" and write hello in the languages discussed.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Language & communication » Language development » Listening & comprehension
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking