Submitted by: masamom
Develop familiarity with letter formation.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Set of large print alphabet letters
- Small cars (Hotwheels or Matchbox cars work well.)
- Paper (1 piece per child)
- Markers (Assorted Colors)
- Print or draw large alphabet letters. Use one letter per page.
- Have children pick a letter card and a small car to race with. Ask them to name the letter and its sound.
- Have children race the car around the letter in order to grasp the basic shape of the letter.
- After completing a race, have child try to write the race letter.
- Continue lettering racing as long as student interest continues.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Cognitive development » Literacy » Alphabet knowledge
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination