Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: Linda O
Environmentally friendly outdoor decoration, utilizing fine motor and observation skills.
24 - 60 months
1 - 3 tots
- Leaves (Brightly colored leaves and greenery)
- 1 Empty bottle (2 Litre Plastic Beverage Container)
- 1 Empty bottle (1 Litre Plastic Beverage Container)
- 1 c Pebbles (or Dried Beans)
- Water (Cold)
- Water (Hot)
- Take a nature walk to collect colorful leaves and greenery.
- Cut and remove the top from both beverage containers.
- Fill larger container with 1" water, and place in freezer to set.
- Fill smaller container with dried beans or pebbles for weight.
- Remove larger container from freezer and position smaller, weighted, container in center.
- Place colorful leaves and greenery in margin between two containers.
- Fill the larger container with water to within 1" of the top.
- Discuss with child how water takes up more volume when frozen.
- Freeze container for 4 hours, or until ice is solid.
- Remove container from freezer, and weighted material from smaller container.
- Pour hot water into smaller, inside container. Let sit 2 minutes.
- Dump water, wiggle to loosen, and remove smaller container.
- Place large container in hot water, long enough to loosen.
- Remove outer container.
- Fill the vase and place outside to enjoy.