Arts & Crafts
Balanced Meal Collage
Submitted by: masamom
Review parts of a balanced meal by creating a balanced meal collage.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Paper plates
- Healthy Food Pyramid (Check the Internet or local library.)
- Child scissors
- Glue stick
- Discuss the foods in the healthy food pyramid. Question kids about what things make a balanced meal. Remind kids to "eat the rainbow"" to create a balanced meal.
- Give each child a paper plate.
- Go over the five basic food groups: fruits, grains, protein, dairy, and vegetables.
- Encourage kids to look through magazines for food from each of the five food groups.
- Divide a paper plate into five sections. Label each section with one of the five food groups.
- Cut and glue a food from each food group into the appropriate section.