Arts & Crafts
Pumpkin Life Cycle Paper Plate Pumpkin
Submitted by: masamom
Learn the life cycle of a pumpkin while creating seasonal art.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Paper plate
- White paper
- Markers (Assorted colors)
- Crayons (Assorted Colors)
- Washable orange paint
- Glue stick
- Brown construction paper
- Use paintbrush to paint paper plate orange. Set aside to dry at least 20 minutes.
- While plate dries, discuss the life cycle of a pumpkin: plant seed and water, small sprout grows, vine grows, and pumpkin grows on vine. Consider pairing this step with a book about pumpkins from a local library.
- Cut a piece of white paper to fit inside the paper plate. Draw a line to divide the white paper into four sections.
- Ask child to draw and color one of the four stages of the pumpkin life cycle, discussed in Step 2, in each of the four sections.
- Glue completed life cycle to center of orange plate.
- Cut a rectangle from the brown construction paper. Glue to top of orange plate to form pumpkin stem.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking
- Language & communication » Language development » Listening & comprehension