Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: Linda O
Create a memory piece from time at a tide pool or on the beach.
18 - 60 months
1 - 4 tots
- Seashells and other beach treasures.
- Small pieces of drift wood
- Walk your favorite beach, or visit a tide pool.
- Help child find interesting shells, small pieces of driftwood, feathers, beach glass or agates.
- Discuss all the forms of life you find on your walk.
- Discuss how far the driftwood or found objects may have traveled.
- Point out the birds who share the beach, and look for their feathers.
- Discuss how driftwood, beach glass and pebbles are affected by the tumbling action of waves and the abrasion of sand.
- Carry home the most precious finds. Rinse and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Lay out the prepared treasures onto driftwood, and secure with craft glue.
- Allow to dry.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Kinesthetic & tactile awareness
- Gross motor skills » Walking
- Sensory processing » Touch