Arts & Crafts
Submitted by: Linda O
Engage baby and toddler imaginations and play with everyday recycled objects.
6 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Boxes (Jewelry and watch boxes are perfect)
- Plastic food containers (8 & 16 oz peanut butter jars are ideal)
- Plastic Lids (Large enough to not present choaking hazard)
- Small tins (Tea and mint boxes)
- Thoroughly clean emptied plastic food-safe containers. Remove the labels and residual glue by soaking containers in soapy water and then scrubbing with a vegetable brush.
- Collect lids larger and smaller than containers. Remove cardboard lid liners and clean thoroughly.
- Thoroughly clean small tins. Inspect for sharp edges at junctures and crimp as necessary.
- Provide small toys that will fit into jars. Toddler bean-bags work great.
- Let your child use his imagination, reasoning and problem solving skills while playing with the materials.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Grasp
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation