Arts & Crafts
Chinese New Year Fortune Invitation
Submitted by: Susanna
Make a traditional Chinese door decoration to invite fortune into your home for the new year.
30 - 60 months
0 - 8 tots
- 1 Construction paper (red square since red is a lucky color in china)
- 1 Construction paper (yellow or black)
- 1 Clear tape (double-sided)
- 1 Markers
- 1 Hole punch
- Using the marker, draw the Chinese character 福 (fortune) onto the red paper.
- Cover the marker lines with double-sided tape.
- Tear up the yellow paper into tiny strips or use a hole puncher to make small pieces
- Help your child cover the marker lines with the torn up or hole punched paper. Show him or her how to pick up each piece and put it on the black lines. Demonstrate how it sticks to the double-sided tape, but doesn't stick other places.
- Hang the art on the front door. Hang it upside-down. In Chinese, upside-down fortune (dao fu) is pronounced the same as coming fortune (dao fu), so hanging the picture upside down makes it a kind of invitation.