Fill in the Blank
Submitted by: Susanna
Encourage memory and linguistic proficiency by having your child finish the lines of their favorite songs and rhymes.
0 - 30 months
1 - 2 tots
- 1 Song or Rhyme (a favorite that your child has heard several times before)
- 1 Rhyme or Songbook (a favorite to encourage their reading ability)
- Begin reciting or reading the song or rhyme. If you have a book, point to the words as you read.
- Recite until you reach the end of a line that has a rhyming word.
- Instead of finishing the rhyme, look at your child with expectant (perhaps puzzled) eyes for at least 5 seconds.
- If they finish the rhyme, celebrate. If not, act as if you remembered the word or figured out how to read it and continue.
- Stop at every rhyming word and see if your child fills in the blanks.
- Cognitive development » Literacy » Phonological awareness
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking