Recycled Earth Day Crayons
Submitted by: masamom
Encourage recycling and celebrate Earth Day with this hands-on activity.
24 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Blue and green crayon pieces
- Mini muffin tin
- Cooking Spray
- Paper towels
- Adult: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel wrappers from crayons. Break blue and green crayons into small pieces.
- Spray muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- Fill muffin cups with a mixture of blue and green crayon pieces.
- Adult: Place muffin tin into preheated oven.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until crayon wax melts.
- Adult: Remove muffin tin from oven. Make sure to place hot pan out of reach of children.
- Allow crayons to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Make sure hot pan in out of reach of children,
- Place tin in freezer to cool for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn tin upside down to remove crayons.
- Dab cooking oil off of crayons with a paper towel.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Social & emotional development » Social connections » Relationships with adults
- Fine motor skills