Cotton Ball Smash
Submitted by: masamom
Develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills with this activity.
24 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- Food coloring
- Cotton balls
- Cookie sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Several small bowls
- Measuring cups
- Plastic kids' hammer
- Adult: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix 1 cup water and 1 cup flour in large mixing bowl with spoon.
- Divide mixture into several smaller bowls. Add desired food coloring to each bowl and mix.
- Line cookie sheet with foil.
- Dip cotton balls into desired color and coat well.
- Place dipped cotton balls onto foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Adult: Place cookie sheet in oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Adult: Remove cookie sheet from oven. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes. Make sure hot pan is out of reach of children.
- Once cool, let children smash baked cotton balls with toy hammer.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Cognitive development » Mathematics » Measurement & comparison
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » Grasp
- Fine motor skills » Hand strength
- Fine motor skills » In-hand manipulation