Arts & Crafts
Understanding and Categorizing Animals
Submitted by: CREAA Academy
This is a group activity where kids categorize and sort animals onto a self made craft board.
36 - 60 months
1 - 8 tots
- 4 Styrofoam sheets
- Watercolor paint
- Animals made of plastic or rubbers
- Separate children into a two groups.
- Give each group a category of animals, one Styrofoam sheet and a pen.
- One group can take land animals and the other can take water animals.
- Draw a line to divide the Styrofoam into two parts. Color one side with green water color paint or green pen. The other side should be colored blue.
- Ask the children to choose the animals which live in water and place them in the area which was colored with blue.
- Ask the children to choose the animals which live on land and place them in the area which was colored with green.
- Encourage discussion
- Repeat the same activity with different categories such as wild and tamed animals, warm blooded and cold blooded animals etc as shown in the picture.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Cooperation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » Grasp
- Language & communication » Language development » Listening & comprehension
- Language & communication » Language development » Gesturing & speaking
- Social & emotional development » Social connections » Relationships with peers