Teach your Kids about Cnidaria!
Submitted by: CREAA Academy
Cnidaria is a phylum containing over 10,000 species of animals found exclusively in aquatic and mostly marine environments. Their distinguishing feature is cnidocytes, specialized cells that they use mainly for capturing prey. Teach your kids with this simple display highlighting Cnidaria.
- 3 Kitchen sponges
- String (Cut into long pieces varying in length)
- 1 Styrofoam Sheets
- 1 bottle Glue
- 3 Labels
- 1 set Water colors
- 1 Popsicle sticks
- 1 box Markers
- 1 piece Paper
- Use water colors to paint the Styrofoam sheet blue which will represent water.
- Cut kitchen sponges into different shapes as shown in the picture. Glue strings to the bottom of the sponges. Use marker add identifying marks on the sponges.
- Label the sponges.
- Encourage discussion. Jellyfish and corals are a few Cnidarian species.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Fine motor skills » Bimanual manipulation
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination
- Fine motor skills » Thumb opposition