Understanding Extinct Animals
Submitted by: CREAA Academy
Extinct animals are those species which are no longer living.
This activity will help your children to remember and understand which are those animals and why are they extinct.
- 1 Styrofoam sheet
- 1 set Watercolor paint
- Paint brushes
- Plastic animals (or pictures of extinct animals)
- Plastic Tree
- Take a rectangular shape Styrofoam sheet. Draw a diagonal line on the sheet. Ask the kids to paint green and brown on each side of the diagonal.
- Use a white sheet of paper and make a small cone. Reverse the cone and paint brown to give the appearance of a hill.
- Place an artificial tree on the sheet.
- Arrange all of the endangered and extinct animals on the sheet.
- Cave Lion, Great Auk, Dodo Bird, Caspian Tiger, Irish Deer, Tasmanian Tiger, The One and Only T-Rex, The Quagga, The Steller Sea Cow, few frogs, birds are few examples of endangered (soon to be extinct) animals.
- Encourage discussion.
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Initiative & curiosity
- Cognitive development » Approaches to learning » Persistence & attentiveness
- Fine motor skills » Hand eye coordination